Monday, January 25, 2010

French Toast Sticks


I also love french toast. I never make french toast, but I love it. I actually just never think to make it. We only ever make breakfast on the weekends when my husband is home. If its just me and the baby I try to eat something quick like a bowl of cereal or a banana after I feed her.  So when I found this recipe it just called out to me. It was french toast I could make ahead of time and microwave in 1 minute! This is my adaptation of that recipe.

This will make you 54 sticks. Best yet my estimated cost is only $3.25 (and that is rounding up) for the entire batch and I know what is in them. I know packaged frozen french toast sticks are very popular. I have never bought them but most of my friends with young children go thru them like a junkie goes through crack. I know that alot of fast food places also sell this. Burger King has them on their $1 menu. You get 5 for that $1. You get 5 of my homemade ones for around 30 cents. I bet kids could even eat them in the car

1 loaf Texas Toast (18 slices)
8 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 t cinnamon
1 1/2 t vanilla
1 1/3 cup milk
1/2 cup melted margarine (1 stick)
Cooking Spray (like pam)

Preheat oven to 350

1. Cut each piece of bread into thirds (you know like a stick lol)
2. Whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla
3. Mix cinnamon and sugar. Mix into egg mixture
4. Melt margarine. Slowly whisk into the egg mixture. If you dump it in the hot butter might cook the eggs so go slow.
5. Spray cookie sheets with Pam (dont use a stone.. I did my first batch and they didnt cook right. Use a cookie sheet)
6. Dip each stick into egg mixture them place on cookie sheet
7. Place them in the oven (middle rack)
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes Flipping them over about halfway through baking

To eat fresh from the oven: Put on a plate, drizzle with syrup, enjoy!

To freeze: Allow to cool. Flash freeze sticks on cookie sheet. When they are hard transfer to large freezer bag.

To cook after frozen: Put 3 sticks in the microwave. Cook for 1 minute

I ate 5 right out of the oven! They are so good I couldnt resist. Plus my house smelled like french toast for hours. Yum!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails