Friday, September 18, 2009

Chicken Gyros

This recipe is SO tasty I completely forgot to take a picture of the finished product before I stuffed my pregnant face with it. Im almost ashamed to admit it, but I actually ate 2 of them for dinner the first night.

Makes 5 (4 serving) meals. Around 20 gyros.

3/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 T dried mint
1 T dried oregano
1 T black pepper
1/2 T salt
4-5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
20 pitas

1. Mix all ingredients but chicken and pita
2. Cut chicken into small chunks or strips.
3. Dump chicken in the marinade. Place in the fridge and marinate for at least 2 hours.
4. Saute and cook chicken.

And what would a gyro be without some gyro sauce??

12 oz cream cheese softened
16 oz plain yogurt
1/8 cup of lemon juice
2 t garlic
1 t salt

1. In a mixing bowl add all ingredients and beat until smooth.

** when ready to serve your sauce you may want to add 1/2 a chopped de-seeded cucumber... I always do as it adds SO much to the sauce**

Done for now!

To freeze you will build kits:
1. Divide chicken into 5 packets
2. Divide gyro sauce into 5 packets
(i used my food saver for both)
3. In a gallon size freezer bag add 1 packet of chicken, 1 packet of gyro sauce and 4 pitas wrapped in saran wrap or their original packaging

To serve:
1. Defrost in fridge
2. Preheat oven to 350
3. Wrap pitas in foil
4. Wrap chicken in foil
5. Warm pitas and chicken in oven until hot (about 10 minutes)
6. Stir sauce and add cucumber

**I also like to add chopped tomato and onion to my gyros. I prefer these items fresh, but if you'd like you can add them to the kit**

I seriously want to defrost another packet and make them for dinner tonight... but Im trying to be good and wait til after the baby :)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails